Saturday, February 5, 2011

Interesting

Since it's the weekend, I haven't gotten any more done in the process to Pittsburgh.  However, I did learn some interesting facts about the Red, Yellow, Green diet they will be implementing (the psychology of it).

For instance, the Green (or "go") foods are generally less than 25 calories per serving and they are allowed seconds of any of these foods.  But, they should not be called "unlimited" because this causes someone with PWS to have anxiety and become obsessive over the prospect of a food being unlimited.

Also, if someone with PWS consumes just 500 extra calories a day, that translates to 48 extra pounds per year!  It's amazing how different their bodies and metabolisms are than a "normal" persons.  I would never have thought that the general rules that apply to diet and exercise would be so far off in someone with PWS.  Clearly I have a lot more to learn than I thought.

All of this was just so interesting to me.  I can't wait to see all the other things we're going to learn.  Up until now, it's just been sort of the blind leading the blind in regard to what we're supposed to do.  No one has been through this before, no one really knows.  But we're learning and doing the best we can.  I'm so excited about this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment